POLICE OFFICER CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION NOTICE
Starting Salary: $58,551 Top Patrol Officer (6 years): $ 92,938 (as of 1-1-22)
Physical Agility Test: Saturday, June 25, 2022, 9:00 a.m., at the Shaler Area Titan Stadium located at 1800 Mt. Royal Boulevard, Glenshaw, PA 15116. The Written Examination will follow at 12:00 noon in the Shaler Area Middle School Cafeteria 1810 Mt. Royal Blvd Glenshaw, PA 15116 only for the applicants that successfully pass the Physical Agility Test. Late arrivals will not be admitted.
Other mandatory components of the civil service test are an oral examination, a background check, a medical examination, a psychological examination, and a polygraph examination. A complete copy of the Shaler Township Civil Service Rules is available for inspection during regular business hours at the Shaler Township Municipal Building, 300 Wetzel Road, Glenshaw, PA 15116 or online at www.shaler.org under Public Safety, Applications & Forms.
APPLICATION: Any person interested in the position of Police Officer who meets the General Requirements listed below may obtain the required Application at the Shaler Township Municipal Building. The Township Building is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Call 412-486-9700 if you have any questions. A complete application form is also available online at www.shaler.org under Public Safety then Applications and Forms or under How Do I then Employment Opportunities. Or you can click here to download a copy of the application!
Completed applications, including a legible color photocopy of a valid driver’s license and other required documentation must be received in person at the Office of the Township Manager, Shaler Township Municipal Building, 300 Wetzel Road, Glenshaw, PA 15116 on or before Friday June 17, 2022, at 12:00 Noon. Applications received after that time and date will not be accepted.
There is NO APLLICATION FEE
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must:
1. Be at least 21 years of age before the deadline for submitting completed applications.
2. Be a U.S. citizen and meet all State and Federal requirements for being a police officer.
3. Possess a current, valid license to operate a motor vehicle in Pennsylvania. License with a photo identification must be presented at time of filing the application and a Pennsylvania operator’s license must be obtained prior to appointment and maintained throughout employment.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS OR PRIOR EXPERIENCE: Applicants must:
1. Have successfully completed the Pennsylvania Municipal Police Officers’ Basic Training Program requirements commonly known as Act 120 training and shall commit to the taking a successful completion of a certification examination administered by the Pennsylvania Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission within sixty (60) days of notice by the Township to take and pass the examination and such other qualifications as are set forth in the Shaler Township Civil Service Rules.
2. Possess a diploma from an accredited high school or graduate equivalency diploma.
3. Possess a 2-year associate degree with sixty college credits obtained from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education, the Council of Higher Education Accreditation or the Association of Specialized and Professional Accreditors or possess a minimum of four (4) years consecutive experience as a full-time active-duty police officer within five (5) years prior to application with an agency having powers of arrest under State, Federal or Military law. For purposes of this requirement, the Township will consider an applicant as having full-time active-duty police experience if the applicant was employed as an active-duty police officer with an agency having powers of arrest under State, Federal or Military law in excess of fifteen hundred (1,500) hours each year for four (4) consecutive years within five (5) years prior to application.
Generous Health Care including eye, dental and prescription for employee and family.
Long and Short Term Disability Insurance & Life insurance.
False or incorrect information will void the application.
The Township of Shaler is an equal opportunity employer.