Residents of Shaler Township are required to recycle in accordance with state law. Township administration encourages residents to recycle as much as possible.
When the garbage contract is put out to bid to secure pricing for the residents, the haulers are very aware of the amount of recycling materials generated by the community. If recycling volumes are high, the hauler can avoid additional landfill fees for excessive tonnage.
Single Sort Recycling
Recycle the below items in your single-sort recycling container. There is no longer a separation of recycling materials. All materials must fit in the recycling cart. If the cardboard is over-sized, residents may place flattened cardboard at the Township recycling dumpster.
Note: Do not bag your recycling. Items should be placed in the container loose.
- Aluminum Cans, clean and dry
- Corrugated Cardboard - broken down and placed in cart
- Newsprint and Inserts
- Office Paper
- Plastics No. 1 - 2, clean and dry
- Steel Cans, clean and dry
- Phone Books
- Paperback Books
- Junk Mail and Envelopes
- Boxboard: such as tissue, dry food boxes, cereal, noodles and cake boxes.
- Pizza Boxes - Lid only - if not tainted by food
- Magazines and Catalogs
- Glass Bottles and Jars
- Window glass, light bulbs, mirrors, ovenware such as Pyrex, pottery or ceramics.
- Plastics # 3-7
- Pizza box bottoms - tainted by food
- Waxed boxed containers
- Aluminum foil
- Aerosol cans
- Electronics - schedule your pick up through County Hauling's Website
- Styrofoam materials
Christmas Tree Recycling - Place Christmas trees at the curb during your scheduled pick up day from January 2 to 30.
Paper Retriever Program
The Paper Retriever program accepts the following:
- Office and school papers
- Shopping catalogs
- Fax, copy paper and all colored paper
There are Paper Retriever bins located at different sites in Shaler Township.
More information is available by calling DEP's toll-free Household Waste hotline at 800-346-4242.