Selling Your Home

What You Need to Know

Selling your home can be a stressful experience. All documents listed below are required for closing, and must be addressed to have a successful closing. In most instances, your closing company will handle ordering and paying for these documents. Please confirm with your Realtor that this is being handled through your closing company. 

Water/Sewer Billing and Earned Income Tax: Some of the information under the water/sewer billing and earned income tax portion also pertains to tenants of rental properties and should be reviewed by both landlords and renters.

In order to expedite the process of fulfilling the closing documents, the seller should take the following steps:

Shaler Township Dye Test Certificate

 – $25.00 fee plus cost of dye test* 
412-486-9700, ext 216

Dye Test: Prior to sale, your home must be dye tested to verify that the downspouts and rain leaders are not connected to the sanitary sewer system. For your convenience, the Township has contracted with Registered Plumbers to perform this service, however, you are free to contract with your own Registered Plumber provided that a dye test form and waiver are completed and returned to the Township offices. We appreciate your cooperation by planning in advance and requesting dye tests at least 14 days before the scheduled closing on your home. The application and advance payment must be made by contacting the plumbing service directly.
Township Contracted Plumbers:  2018-2020 Prices
Terry's Plumbing ($25.00 per test) 412-364-9114
DiNucci Plumbing ($30.00 per test) 412-487-7328

When testing is completed and the property passes inspection, the plumber will notify the Township of the results. Dye test results are valid for THREE (3) YEARS after the date of testing.

Dye Test Failure

: If the property should fail inspection, the plumber will notify the Township and the owner of the property. The owner can make arrangements with whomever they wish to make the necessary repairs. However, they must notify the Township Building Inspector at least 24 hours prior to repairs being initiated so that an inspection can be performed while the work is being completed. The Township urges all homeowners to get bids before authorizing any repair work.

Residential Backflow Preventer Certification

- Hampton Shaler Water Authority   $10.00 - 412-486-4867

At least two weeks prior to closing the seller shall contact the Authority and schedule an appointment for an Authority serviceman to visit the premise and verify if the premise has an approved backflow preventer. If the premise does not have an approved backflow preventer (dual check valve and thermal expansion tank), you will be immediately notified and informed to contact a registered master plumber for installation. The Allegheny County Plumbing Department requires an expansion tank be installed with the backflow preventer.
Don’t Forget to Schedule Your Final Reading!
Sellers and tenants of rental units must schedule a final reading for your water/sewer bill. You should forward a copy of that document to your closing company so that any funds which may have been placed in escrow for the closing can be refunded to you. The seller is responsible for any unpaid balance on the water/sewer bill should the amount placed in escrow be insufficient to cover the final bill.
If the property is vacant due to sheriff sale, bankruptcy or any other reason, please notify the HSWA so the water service can be shut off to prevent damage in case of broken or leaking pipes.

Garbage and Recycling Service

- County Hauling - 866-815-0016.

You may apply for a Trash Waiver through the Township’s website if your home is vacant during the sale process.
Please remember to tell the buyer of your property that subscribing to the Township’s carrier for garbage and recycling service is mandatory and enforced under Township Code Chapter 187, Article VII Section 35. Lastly, your recycling cart should remain with the property.

Required Documents ordered and paid for by closing company

(Occupancy Permits are not required for the sale of property in Shaler Township)

No-Lien Letter

– Shaler Township - $25.00 fee – 412-486-9700 ext. 210

You will need a letter from the Shaler Township Office to verify there are no un-filed municipal liens on the property. This is provided upon request and receipt of the fee from the closing agent.

No-Lien Letter

- Hampton Shaler Water Authority - $25.00 fee – 412-486-4867

You will need a letter from the HSWA to verify there are no un-filed water liens on the property. This is provided upon request and receipt of the fee from the closing agent.

Zoning Compliance Letter

– Shaler Township - $25.00 fee – 412-486-9700 ext. 216

This letter provides the buyer with the correct zoning designation for the property.

Property Tax Certification

- Shaler Township - $25.00 fee
Erin Bartkins, Tax Collector – 412-486-9700, ext. 224

For a sale/refinance of a property, the seller/owner must provide the closing company with three (3) years of Township and School District Real Estate Property Tax receipts. The closing company has discretion to use the receipts the property owner provides, or request a tax certification letter from the Shaler Township Treasurer’s Office.

Water & Sewage Billing

Hampton Shaler Water Authority - 412-486-4867

Keystone Collections Group - Earned Income Tax or 724-978-0300

Buyers are asked to register with the Keystone Collections Group for earned income tax upon moving into new property.

Tenants of rental properties must also register for and pay the 1% Earned Income Tax to the Township of Shaler. Landlords should contact the Keystone Collections Groups to report when a new tenant signs a lease for rental property.