Building & Zoning

Building & Code Enforcement

The Building and Code Enforcement Inspector is responsible for the review of and issuance of building, grading and occupancy applications and permits, enforcement of zoning, subdivision and building codes, inspection of all construction and collection of permit fees.

All development within the Township must conform to the subdivision and land development ordinance, the zoning ordinance and other regulations controlling grading and storm water runoff.

The Township utilizes the statewide building code, or Uniform Construction Code, the 2015 International Residential Building Code, the 2015 International Building Code and the 2015 International Fire Code.

Dumpster and POD Application

A permit is required from the Township to place a dumpster or POD upon any Township street, avenue, lane, alley, public sidewalk or other public right of way or public place in the Township. The applicant shall submit a Dumpster and Pod Application together with a permit fee in the amount of $75.00.  A certificate of liability insurance in the amount of $100,000 shall be provided by the company supplying the dumpster or POD.  A deposit of $500.00 guaranteeing that the applicant shall repair any damages caused by placement of the dumpster or POD. The permit will be issued for a maximum of 30 days.  A dumpster or POD placed on private property or in a driveway shall not require a permit.

Accessory Zoning Permit Signage Application

An Accessory Zoning Permit Signage Application is required for any sign. A separate permit is required for the erection of each individual sign. A permit is not required for small yard signs and for sale / for rent signs.

For more information, please refer to Chapter 183 of the Township Code.

Accessory Zoning Permits

An Accessory Zoning Permit Application is required for the following:
  • Sheds
  • Carport
  • Detached Private Garage
  • Manufactured Homes
  • Grade and Fill for Residential and Commercial
  • Other Detached Accessory Structures to a one or two Family Dwelling.

Zoning Change and Conditional Use

Properties in Shaler Township are divided into several zoning districts such as residential, neighborhood shopping, general commercial and industrial. Properties can only be rezoned if they are adjacent to the same zoning designation.  Different zoning districts have different rules as to what types of use are permitted. Please contact the Building & Zoning Department for additional information.

Subdividing a Property

Before you begin, it is recommended you call the Building and Code officer to see if the subdivision is possible on your property. If it is determined the subdivision is possible, you need to get a surveyor or engineer to lay out the subdivision and complete an application to get a subdivision permit and development permit. The application and plan will then go before the Planning Commission and Board of Commissioners for approval.