• JHTMLcontentlanguage not supported. File not found.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please select your question category
Search FAQs
View all frequently asked questions

Residents are advised to call 412-492-2222 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday.  Please provide the location of the animal to be removed, along with an approximate address or landmark.  The Township will notify the animal control provider to remove the animal within a reasonable time period.

If the animal is causing a traffic hazard or is in a densely populated area, please call 911 to report the condition.  Emergency personnel will be dispatched to the scene for immediate response.

Please call 412-473-3056, the non emergency number for Shaler Police, to report a stray dog in the neighborhood.  The police will respond to the call and attempt to catch the animal.  The dog will be transported to the Shaler Police station and placed with the animal control provider for the required period of time. 

Feral cats are stray, homeless cats that have no socialization skills and are afraid of human contact.They often run away when approached by individuals. Feral cats are becoming a significant problem in Shaler Township. 

The Animal Rescue League Shelter and Wildlife Center has a Trap / Neuter and Return for feral cats.
See website link or call for more information:  412-345-7300.

Barking dogs and other loud or nuisance animals bring frequent complaints to the Shaler Police Department particularly in warm weather when windows are open. Not only is it extremely inconsiderate to allow dogs to bark excessively or continuously, but it is also against the law. Owners of barking dogs may be in violation of the noise ordinance and may be subject to a summons/or fine. To file a complaint or for further information, please call 911.

Due to public health concerns residents walking dogs are expected to carry bags and clean up after their pets.

Pet owners have an obligation to prevent their animals from becoming public nuisances.  This includes excessive, continuous or untimely barking, attacking people or domestic animals, chasing vehicles and trespassing or damaging private property.  The following actions for such cases suggested: 1. talk to the owners of the animals - they may not know that their animal is creating a problem.  If step 1 is unsuccessful and you know the owner's name and address, send a certified letter to them (return receipt requested) outlining the problem. Shaler Township Police will investigate such complaints however if the animal control officers contracted thru the Township or the police officers do not witness these violations, they cannot act upon them. Residents can file a complaint at the District Magistrate's office and take the offenders to court.

If you have lost a pet or have found one running loose, there are several steps that should be taken for the safety of the animal as well as the public. An animal running freely is in danger. It could be hit by a car, eat discarded and potentially dangerous foods or trash or be cut by glass or nails. Loose pets can also scatter garbage and cause damage to private property. 

To report a lost or found animal, please call 911. When reporting, please provide a descripton of the animal along with any identification the pet is wearing. The animal will be placed on a missing animal watch list with your name and phone number. You will be contacted should the police find your animal or someone reports the animal as being found. Stray animals are turned over to Triangle Pet who are contracted by the township for animal control.  To report a lost or found pet, call 911 for immediate response.

Due to the use of public parks by young children the township prohibits pets in most parks. Fall Run Park is the exception but residents are reminded to carry bags to clean up after their pets.

Every dog three months of age and older needs an annual County dog license. Contact John K. Weinstein, County Treasurer at the following link for information and application:

In accordance with state law, every dog and cat three months of age and older must be vaccinated against rabies. 


Permits are required for all of these structures. Fences between 6 feet, 1 inch and 6 feet, 6 inches require a permit. Sheds require an accessory zoning permit and pools require a building permit.  Additonal information can be obtained from the building and zoning department at 412-486-9700, ext 221 or 222.


Building & Zoning link

Forms and instructions are available on this web site under the buidling and zoning category.  Additional information can be obtained from the building and zoning department at 412-486-9700 ext 221 or 222.


Building and Zoning Page

Residents or contractor's can contact the building and zoning office at 412-486-9700, ext 221 or 222 during normal business hours. A twenty-four hour notice is required for all inspections.

Township ordinance requires that all residents maintain their lawns under six inches in length. Enforcement of this ordinance is a priority of the building and zoning department. Residents can be citied for violation of this township ordinance.  Penalities include fines up to $1,000.00 per day or jail time.  If you wish to register a complaint regarding an area of the township, please call 412-486-9700, ext 221 or 222,. 

The township works in conjuction with Allegheny County for rodent control. Calls are received by the township at 412-486-9700, ext 221 or 222.  An investigation is conducted to determine the source of the problem and the situation is handled on a case by case basis. 

No building permit is required for the installation of a new driveway, however a highway occupancy permit must be obtained from the appropriate governmental agency. If your driveway is located on a state or county highway a street opening permit must be obtained.  If your driveway is located on a township roadway, you may be required to obtain a street opening permit.  Information can be obtained by calling the building and zoning department at 412-486-9700, ext 221.

Recreational fires are permitted consistent with Allegheny County Air Quality standards. 

Open burning in the Township shall be permitted without a permit, if and only if:

   For recreation, camping or a cookout:

  1. Only dry clean wood products or other clean-burning fuels are burned;
  2. Only smokeless fuels, if any, are used to start the fire;
  3. The pile of material being burned is no larger than 16 squre feet by three feet high;
  4. The fire is at least 15 feet from the nearest structure, inhabited area, roadway, property line, or utility; and
  5. The fire is attended at all times and completely extinguished when not attended. 





The Board of Commissioner's meeting are held the second Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at 300 Wetzel Road, Glenshaw, PA  15116.  To be placed on the agenda for a meeting, please contact the manager's office at 412-486-9700 no later than Friday prior to the meeting date.

Meeting minutes are a matter of public record and can be obtained by contacting the township manager's office at 412-486-9700.  Interested parties can obtain copies of up to three meetings at no charge.  There may be a charge for any copies in excess of three meetings. Meeting minutes are available on the website at under the government tab, then ordinances.  These minutes can be printed from the website.

There are various township boards and commissions that are in need of interested volunteers.  If you are interested in serving on one of the many boards, please submit a resume and letter of interest to the township managers office, 300 Wetzel Road, Glenshaw,  PA  15116.

Allied Waste recognizes New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  If any of these holidays fall on a weekday, garbage collection will be delayed one day. Collection will extend into Saturday the week of the holiday.


Garbage Schedule

Residents are required under Township Ordinance to subscribe to garbage collection service.  Residents can be cited under the Township Ordinance for failure to subscribe to this service. 

The township's contracted hauler is Republic Services / Allied Waste.  Their phone number is 412-429-2600. The yearly rates can be found on the website under the Public Services tab - Trash Collection

There  is is a senior citizen discount for those 65 or older.  Senior citizens must be on file at the township offices.  For senior citizen registration information, please call 412-486-9700.

Leaf pickup is for a six week period in the fall.  The exact dates are determined in late September based on weather conditions.  Leaves are picked up on Saturdays during the scheduled weeks.  All leaves must be placed in biodegradable paper bags and must be placed curbside for pickup.  Bags are available at the township offices at a cost, Monday thru Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

The following is a list of some of those items and suggested methods of disposal.

Paint - Remove the lid off, put in shredded newspaper, kitty litter or mulch, when paint is dry leave lid off and put out with weekly trash. Wet paint cannot be put out with weekly pickup. For full paint cans, please call Southwestern PA Household Hazardous Waste at 412-488-7454.

Refrigerator - For a refrigerator to be picked up with the weekly collection, the freon must be removed by a certified plumber. The certified plumber will put a specific sticker on the appliance attesting that the freon has been removed.  There is a charge for this service. The township maintains a list of plumbers and haulers that provide this service.  Please call 412-486-9700 for additional information.

Windows, concrete, wood and construction materials - The garbage contract does not allow for the collection of building materials. You must contact a private hauler for this service. 

Old tires - You must contact a retailer that sells new tires to dispose of old tires.  There is generally a charge for disposal of old tires.

Auto batteries, oil and transmission fluids - Advance Auto will accept up to five gallons of oil per day per person in addition to auto batteries.  These items cannot be disposed of in the weekly garbage.

Flourescent Lights - Home Depot stores now accept used flourescent lights to be recycled.

The garbage hauler is contracted to pick up, on a weekly basis, the following materials: glass (clear, brown and green), plastics (number 1 & 2), bi metal, tin and aluminum cans and newspaper. All materials may be placed into the recycling bin together.  All materials should be rinsed of residue, labels can remain on the containers. 

The following materials are not recyclable: window glass, light bulbs, pyrex or ceramic, mirrors and heat resistent ovenwear.  

Trash and Recycling Page


Please call 412-486-9700 during Business Hours

After Business Hours Call - 9-1-1

If you have a sanitary sewer backup in your home, please contact Shaler Township prior to contacting a private plumber.  Township personnel will verify that the blockage is not in the main sanitary sewer line serving your home. If you contact a plumber prior to contacting the Township, and discover that the blockage is in the Township's main sanitary sewer line, the Township may not be liable for the cost of the private plumber.  The Township responds to sanitary sewer calls 24 hours per day - 7 days per week.

If you notice an unusual amount of water runoff on the roadway or on your property or you experience a sudden loss of water pressure in your home, please call 412-486-4867, Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to report the location of the suspected water break. If the business office is closed, please call 412-822-7766 or 911 to report the condition. The appropriate party will respond to the service call to determine if a water break is in the area.

The township business hours are Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

The Township Manager, Timothy J. Rogers, Esq, can be reached by phone at 412-486-9700 and requesting the Manager's office.  Correspondence can be directed to: Timothy J. Rogers, Township Manager, 300 Wetzel Road, Glenshaw,  PA  15116 or e-mail to


The township building is located at 300 Wetzel Road, Glenshaw, PA  15116.  Telephone number for directions is 412-486-9700.

Township offices will be closed on the following holidays:  New Year's Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve Day and Christmas Day.  If any of the above holidays fall on a weekend, the township offices will be closed either the Friday before or the Monday after the holiday.

Earned Income Tax

All residents of Shaler Township that work are required to pay Earned Income Tax.  Please check your pay stubs to be sure that this tax is being withdrawn from your paycheck by your employer and paid to Keystone Municipal Services.

The Political Subdivision Code for Shaler Township (PSD) is 711204.

Keystone Collections Group
546 Wendel Road
Irwin, PA  15642


The only forms of payment that are accepted are check (personal or certified), cash or money order. No credit cards are accepted.

You can pay your taxes in person at the Treasurer's office located in the Shaler Township Municipal building, 300 Wetzel Road, Glenshaw, PA 15116. You can drop them in the drop box (white mailbox) located in the main entrance at the township offices. You can also mail them to the above address.

If paying in person a receipt will be issued to you at the time of your payment. If paying by mail, you must include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment.

The Allegheny County Office of Property Assessments is responsible for individual parcels. If you wish to challenge your assessment, you must file an appeal with Allegheny County. For more information visit:

Requests for general road service can be reported to the Township general office at 412-486-9700. Please note that dangerous road conditions such as missing stop signs, burned out traffic lights or other situations that require immediate assistance, should be reported by dailing 911.  The issue will be forwarded to the responsible party for action.

Requests for road signs are reviewed by the police department and public works department for legality and possibly liability.  Requests for road signs can be addressed, in writing, to Chief Bryan Kelly, Shaler Township Police Department, 300 Wetzel Road, Glenshaw,  PA  15116.

Lines are marked in accordance with Pennsylvania Law and the PA One Call System. Painted lines mean that someone, either a utility company, contractor or Shaler Township, will be digging on your property.  All underground utilities must be marked to prevent cut and damaged lines and utilities during digging.

Crawford Pool at Kiwanis park opens on Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, seven days a week, Monday thru Saturday from 12:00 noon to 8:30 p.m. and Sunday 12:00 noon to 7:30 p.m. These hours are weather permitting. 

The following picnic shelters can be reserved by contacting the manager's office at 412-486-9700, ext 211. 

Reservations for the Picnic Shelters are taken starting the first weekday in January.  The fee must be paid within two weeks (ten business days) of reservations or the reservation will be forfeited. 


For fees and more information: link to Park Shelter Page

Kiwanis Park Shelter   Active Image


Upper Kiwanis Park Shelter - (Small picnics of 25 people or less)


Fall Run Park Shelter - (Small picnics of 25 people or less)   Active Image


Yes, private functions are permitted on Friday and Saturday from 8:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.or Sunday from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.  For additional information on prices and scheduling:  Crawford Pool

Bring completed application (available under parks & recreation page) to the Municipal Building, 300 Wetzel Road, along with Photo Identification for Residency Verification.

Swimmers must wear commercially manufactured swimming suits.


Season Pool Pass Prices download


Kiwanis Park and Crawford Pool are located on Meyer Lane.  The address in Google Maps is 399 Wetzel Road, Glenshaw,  PA  15116 or enter Kiwanis Park, Glenshaw, PA 15116.

THe Shaler Township Holiday "Lite" Up Night is held the Saturday before Thanksgiving at 7:00 p.m. at the Shaler North Hills Library and Shaler Area Middle School on Mt. Royal Boulevard across from Shaler North HIlls Library.  Santa Claus makes a special appearance this evening to help celebrate the holiday season kick off.  Light Up Night is sponsored by the Shaler Neighborhood Improvement Committee.

Halloween is always celebrated in Shaler Township on October 31st.  It is recommended that trick-or-treaters visit homes between the hours of 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

No, residents who require fingerprinting for employment, security clearances, travel or other official reasons can register on the Cogent Website: Cogent is the vendor for electronic fingerprinting in Pennsylvania.  Once you register on the Cogent site, you can go to any UPS Store that offiers the fingerprinting service.

The nearest UPS store to the Township of Shaler, that offers fingerprinting services is at 5513 William Flynn HW Gibsonia, PA 15044 724-443-0381 (Richland Township next to Atria's Restaurant).

If you need to have your fingerprints done with ink on fingerprint cards, that service is provided by the UPS Store in Ross Township at 4885 McKnight Road Pittsburgh, PA 15237 412-369-9200 (McKnight Rd at Siebert Rd).


UPS website link 



Records can be obtained at the Shaler Township Police Office, 300 Wetzel Road, Glenshaw PA 15116 Monday thru Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.  The office is closed between the hours of 12:00 and 1:00 p.m. If you are unable to request the record in person, mail requests will be honored.  A check must be included with the request for information.  When making the request for a police report, please have the following information available: case number or report number, name of complainant, date and location of incident.

Please fill out the Request for Police Records form by clicking on link below.  Cost is on the form.


Police Forms Page

Magisterial District Judge Robert Dzvonick, formerly known as the "Magistrate," serves the citizens of Shaler, Reserve, Millvale and Etna by issuing arrest and search warrants and summons, establishing bonds and bonding out citizens who have been arrested. The Magisterial District Judge also issues temporary PFA orders, holds summary and preliminary hearings. The Magisterial District Judge also accepts payment for all traffic and non traffic fines. He also handles civil complaints. His office is located at 1007 Mt. Royal Boulevard, Pittsburgh, PA 15223 p: 412-487-7630.

Tours are scheduled for groups of citizens, students, cub scouts, brownies and other organizations. Tour groups learn about the responsibilities of the station, its personnel and the assigned equipment through both fun and education activities. The tour includes computer room, squad room, cellblock, booking room, police car, and other offices. Information is tailored to the group's needs and age group. Arrangements should be made at least three weeks in advance. Please contact the police department at 412-492-2222.

The Shaler Township Police Department will watch your home while you are on vacation.  Please visit the Public Safety, Police information to download the vacation check request form and fax it to the Shaler Township Police Station. 


Police Forms Page

Vehicles that have been abandoned for over forty eight hours or do not have a current registration and/or inspection can be reported to be ticketed and or towed. This includes all vehicles in public sight that are inoperable for any reason. Vehicles parked on private property can only be removed by the property owner. The complaintant should contact the police department to report the vehicle at 412-492-2222 or 911. The police department will make every effort to locate the owner and alert them that their vehicle will be ticketed and/or towed.

Persons or businesses going door to door to sell goods or request donations must obtain a solicitor's permit from the Township. Please ask anyone that knocks on your door to see their permit.

Political, Religious and non-profit organizations with 501(c)(3) status are exempt and may solicit without a permit.

A non-solicitation list is maintained by the Township and provided to all solicitors.  To be added to this list, please call the business office, Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Should a person be soliciting without a valid permit, they are subject to fines and/or arrest. If a solicitor does not have a permit or appears fraudulent, contact the police department by dailing 911. For safety's sake, never pay or donate cash or valuables to a door to door solicitor, whether they appear legitimate or not.


Solicitors Permit Application and Instructions

Fireworks can be fun and spectacular, however they can also cause serious injuries and start dangerous fires. It is illegal to possess, transport, discharge or sell fireworks within the township.

Only with a fireworks permit from the Township can your event include fireworks. Requirements for a permit include specifications on the launching area, number of fire personnel present and stipulations on the presence of a license pyrotechnic operator at the event. The township enforces the BOCA code which regulates the use of fireworks. Low grade, hand-held sparkling devices are permitted as regulated by State law.  

For more information concerning firework regulations, please call the police department at 412-492-2222.

Owners of vehicles that are parked illegally anywhere public or private in Shaler Township are subject to fines and penalties as outlined in the Township Code and the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Code.  Vehicles parked in fire lanes, intersections, unauthorized parking spots or other illegal locations will be ticketed.  If the vehicle is not moved within 24 hours, it will be towed at the owner's expense. Vehicles parked on private property may be towed only by the owner of the property. Property owners towing any vehicle from their property should notify the police to avoid the vehicle's owner reporting it as being stolen.

Beware of any organization soliciting cash or credit card donations by the telephone. Before you purchase from or donate to anyone soliciting by phone, check with the Better Business Bureau. Be sure to request the name of the company, the tax identification number, a call back number and the name of the representative of the business that has called you. Even if a business is legitimate, it may not be permitted to solicit by telephone.

The Township will issue a Solicitor's Permit to all qualifying organizations and vendors provided the following criteria is met by all applicants:

Instructions and Application form can be found at this link:

Police Department Forms


Evacuations are more common than many people realize. When community evacuations become necessary, local officials provide information to the public through the media. Preparation to evacuate is essential, as many disasters offer no time for people to gather even the most basic necessities. If you are advised to evacuate your home or move to another temporary location, please remember the following tips:

  • Learn your community's evacuation routes and proper evacuation procedures if you must leave town.
  • If you do not own a car, make transporation arrangements with friends or your local government. Listen to a battery-powered radio and follow the instructions  advice of local authorities. They will give you information about evacuation routes and locations of emergency shelters.
  • If the danger is imminent, evacuate immediately. Keep fuel in your car if an evacuation seems likely. Gas stations may be closed during emergencies.
  • If there is time, gather water, food, clothing, emergency supplies, and insurance and financial records. Wear protective clothing and sturdy shoes.
  • Take your Disaster Supplies Kit. If instructed to do so, shut off electricity, gas and water at main switches and valves.
  • Secure your home. Close and lock doors and windows, unplug appliances. Take any action needed to prevent damage to water pipes by freezing weather. Let others know when you are leaving and where you are going.
  • Find out where children will be sent if they are in school when an evacuation is announced.
  • Plan a place to meet your family in case you are separated from one another in a disaster. Ask a friend outside of the state to be a "check-point" so that everyone in the family can call that person to say they are safe.
  • Use travel evacuation routes that are specified or recommended by local officials. Do not takes shortcuts, which may be blocked or washed out. Do not drive into flooded areas. Stay away from downed power lines.
  • As you travel stay informed by listening to the local radio for additional information and instructions. If told to move to a particular location, do not go to any other location.
  • Make arrangements for pets. Animals may not be allowed in public shelters.

In extreme emergencies, Shaler Township officials may advise you by means of an emergency broadcast radio or television to evacuate your home and seek shelter. When this happens your first choice for shelter should always be a friend or relative's house in a safe area. When conditions prevent you from taking shelter in these places, you should try to take refuge in a public disaster shelter operated by emergency management agencies. The township has designated a number of Shaler Area School District buildings and fire stations as possible emergency public shelters. The exact number and location of shelters opened will be determined based upon the emergency. Listen to local radio and television announcements on shelter locations and opening times.

Please do not report to a shelter before it is scheduled to be open. These shelters provide basic survival facilities. When preparing to report to a shelter, consider bringing the following, a disaster supply kit which contains water and canned food, a change of clothing, bedding materials, medication, first aid supplies, battery powered radio and flashligh, toiletries and personal identification. None of these amenities are guaranteed to be available in the shelter. Due to health reasons, pets are not permitted in public shelters.


Any person who is gainfully employed and stationed, headquartered (except for payroll purposes only) and/or performing work or services from an office or other fixed place of business in Shaler Township for any period of time in the calendar year.

The rate is $52.00 per calendar year.

Income from all sources is defined as the total earnings and net profits from all sources within the municipality for the calendar year in which the Local Services Tax is levied.

The tax is withheld by the employer.  The employer must take $52 divided by the number of pay periods anticipated for each employee in the calendar year and withhold that prorated portion in each pay period.

The employer is only required to withhold the prorated amount for each pay period.

The employer is required to withhold on a prorated basis.  The employer must take $52 divided by the number of pay periods anticipated for each employee in the calendar year and withhold that amount in each pay period.

Yes. Any person who earns less than $12,000 in a calendar year in SHALER TOWNSHIP is exempt from the tax. 

No. You can complete and submit an Exemption Certificate to both your employer and the Shaler Township Tax Office. Forms are available from your employer or in the forms section of this website.

Your employer will be required to "catch up" in the pay period in which you reach $12,000 with that employer. The LST withheld from each paycheck in which you reach $12,000 should total $52 divided by the number of pay periods in which you anticipate working in the calendar year, then multipled by the number of pay periods worked to date.

No. Your employer may choose to participate in a program that allows them to accept documentation from you regarding payment in another taxing body.  Your employer would be required to forward this information to Shaler Township. You would be required to provide your employer with appropriate documentation which may include a dated pay stub, a receipt provided by your previous employer, or a receipt provided by another taxing body. Please note: If the amount paid to another taxing body is less than $52, your employer will be responsible for withholding the difference between the Township's $52 rate and the amount you paid to the other taxing body.

You can apply for a refund directly with Shaler Township.  You must complete a refund request form and attach the appropriate documentation.

No. You can apply for a refund immediately. You should apply for a refund to the taxing district to which you last paid.  If you apply for a refund it will be issued within 75 days of receipt of the tax from your employer.  Employers are required to forward all monies withheld each quarter to the Township by the last day of the month immediately following that quarter.

Yes. Any person who has served in any war or armed services conflict in which the United States was engaged in and has a honorable discharge is exempt from the tax.  Other exemptions apply, please see the rules and regulations for all eligible exemptions.

Forms and additional information are available in the "forms" section of this website and include the Rules and Regulations as well as all forms referenced in the FAQ section of this website. 

Yes. The tax is levied upon the privilege of engaging in an occupation in the Township.  You must pay the tax directly to Shaler Township.